Sunday, May 18, 2008

Balance

In the interests of this not appearing a totally idyllic story I have put some thought into what is not right about living here. Having read other blogs recently I considered steering clear of the trusty list. But, I have to say this is obviously the easiest way to describe what you think - so apologies - but this is what is in my head:

What is troublesome:

1. Greenfly come in through the bath room window and die in their thousands on the loo floor
2. My car exhaust has a massive hole in it from driving up and down the badly kept lane to our home.
3. There has been mud EVERYWHERE!
4. People ask if they should take off their shoes when they visit us.
5. We are all in one bedroom and we have no curtains...I wake up every day at sunrise
6. My clothes hang on a half made wardrobe or piled on the side and seem to grow in front of me
7. I keep shopping in Tesco! I disappear for a chicken and come home eighty pounds lighter. Clever people!

The big dig finally began this week with the top soil removed at a pace of knots. The first machine that arrived was not much bigger than Jack, and the poor sod kept having his front bucket come off. Either which way though, Matt, the chap that is making all of the difference, did a fantastic job and within one day had cleared about a quarter of the land. Alf announced that Matt was the best person he had ever met as he had made us a tennis court and a footie pitch in one swift move.

Day two a big mean machine arrived and off they went. It looks amazing and our 'bund' is great against the neighbour’s boundary. The boys run up and down it, the dogs think it is the best for smells and Jeff and I stand on top and survey our land! In a week we have to work out how to grass the whole garden...

The big dig continues this week and by Wednesday the whole site should be cleared. The guy in charge got out of his cab the other day and shocked me as he is even taller than J. About 6 and a half foot of niceness...

All happy and about to be awakened to the joys of grass seed...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have a very fragrant loo!! Perhaps a bug screen would help.
Mighty

Anonymous said...

My goodness Em, you are prolific - and hilarious. I was sitting in LAX, USA's impressive(ly bad)answer to the misery that is Heathrow, having a bit of a "can't work, won't work moment and wondering how to fill a 4 hour layover when I remembered your blog. Once I finally abandoned my belief that the blog was called the red shed project, Google found it easy enough. (I was pretty convinced about the red thing tho' so passed about an hour doing maybe 50 searches, all with "red shed" as a mandatory term!

Once on the blog, I realised I was so far behind I needed to start from the top (bottom)

By April I had transitioned from "how do I fill the time" to "Yikes I only have an hour til I have to board, how do I download this stuff to read on the plane"!

You will be delighted to know I have awarded "the red shed" (is it even red???)...#1 in my blog favourites...which currently comprises a whole 2 blogs, but hey - its a start!

Looking forward to seeing you guys in August. Say hi to everyone from Sue, Al and I.

Keep em coming

Stu

Anonymous said...

Of course - there y go it is red...I feel totally vindicated

Anonymous said...

Well its official….

Your blog is now world famous…at least with all the bus class passengers on the 5:50 flight from LAX to YVR.

Figured how to create an offline copy of the blog to read on the way home, then chuckled all the way back to Vancouver, until I got to the bit where you are mooing the cows, at which point I rather lost it.

That and the ultra gardening concept, which had me in stitches too.

Anyway there I was howling with laughter mid flight….First the flight attendant took an interest in what was so funny and gradually most everyone got sucked in (apart from a couple of suits at the very front). General agreement from the over 40s that this is just about the only legit excuse for the whole blogging phenom. Couple of twenty-somethings just shaking their heads at us… “Wot-eva”

Expect a server overload in the next few days as everyone from AC 578 logs on!! 

Stu