Sunday, December 14, 2008

Gappy 2

I have just been pulling the house apart (doesn't take long in a bijou little residence like this) but I have been hunting the camera...seems to have been taken my Mr Turtle - not my pet name for J - but rather the chap who lived here before...so why the search for the snapper...

Well, having told Chas that he would have to wait at least 700 days to have a visit from the tooth fairy, he continues his precociousness and has lost his first tooth! I found Alf and his friend Dan on Friday afternoon armed with some loo roll and pinning little brother to the floor as they tugged on the said tooth. Got there just in time!

The very next day Charlie chucked what he thought was a horrid hard nut across the floor - the offending thing had been found in a caramel biscuit - but, then Mum and Alf had to spend 10 mins on the floor hunting the baby tooth. Tooth fairy was incredibly generous and left a hefty two pounds!

The boys have broken up for the holidays now and I am feeling slightly queasy having just spent the last 20 mins licking paper chains! I used to pooh pooh the gaudiness of paper links and have refused to have them in every other house (what a snob!), but they now adorn the kitchen and I am feeling rather proud of myself.

Today felt a little like I had been released from jail. It absolutely bucketed down all day yesterday and I and the boys climbed the walls - here and at Mum's. This morning I ventured outside at about 8am and the whole place was covered in a wonderful eerie mist. The river has once again swept over the neighbouring field - but under first proper test - we did not sink! We have had to sand bag one corner of the Shed - but compared to last year that is child's play.

The river will soon take on a new level of importance for us, as J has been ebaying! We are now the proud owners of the £150 1960 motor boat. It is currently moored up at Auntie Anne's as J manages to fix the holes and gets the outboard motor working and then come Christmas Day the boys (I may jump in - not sure yet how girly I will be feeling) will apparently be cruising off down the Mole. This is an adventure of its own as neither J nor I have the slightest idea how far along from our little bend we can actually go. They may have to buzz for 20 foot and then have to turn around and return, but nothing ventured...

I have a New Year resolution...learn to light a b****y fire! I have been back in the shed for the past hour without J. I have just found myself asking the 7 year old how to get a fire going! How hard can this be...I know my problem is a complete lack of patience.

Hooray J is back - we shall be warm - we shall....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sad the last 'baby' has grown up enough to become boy. Hope you found the camera. Mighty.

Anonymous said...

Things have been so hectic I neglected read your Blog, but took it second hand from Mighty.
(Shame on me !!! )
This is a Post - Christmas comment.
The snow is gone for now - on it's way to the U.K. no doubt.
Funny how things go missing from time to time; for you a camera, for us 2 pairs of scissors. I know which is easier to replace.
The "Boat purchase" will be a lot of fun, no doubt commanded by Captain Pugwash J senior.
J junior will navigate up toward the North Pole and turn right just before it, to go to Canada.
He has assured me that "It will be a piece of cake".
Look after yourselves and keep the Blog coming.
Cheers,
Another J.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you found the camera - new pics for christmas.

Mighty

Anonymous said...

Hi all,

great to catch up on your news again. It's been far too long since I last to read the blog, but I have been having a pretty slow day here at work so I have been chuckling away to myself in the office at all of your exploits. With all the doom and gloom of the credit crunch etc I suspect my joviality has got everybody wondering about my sanity-but it’s good to keep them guessing!

My new Zealand travels have slowed right down and I have not been on a business trip since September. Absolutely unheard of for me. I cannot tell you how nice it is being knocked together on a plane except for family fun.

We took a flight on points to grand Cayman in November and stayed with neighbourhood friends there. Great to get some sunshine and just the relaxation I needed as workers been pretty frustrating and dull recently. As luck would have it we arrived just in time for pirates [of the Caribbean] week….. lots of fun lots of snorkelling, swimming with stingrays etc.

Followed by more tedious work through until Christmas….

Christmas in Canada was great fun tho’.

We have had just a ton of snow here-the most in the six years that we have lived in Vancouver. Absolutely beautiful to have a real white Christmas…. Bit less fun on the sixth or seventh time shoveling the driveway – in 1 day!! But fun nonetheless . Vancouverites really aren’t used to this kind of thing and you would not have believed the amount of wingeing and whining on local radio that “something should be done about this …” I will attach an email that sums this up….

As for us, we were just glad to have great snowboarding conditions at Whistler-the best I think I’ve ever experienced. So great that last weekend we were up there that I just could not bring myself to return to work on Monday so we stayed on an extra day for an extra 40cm of fresh snow. Just fantastic. Hope you guys will make it here one of these days to try it out. The boys are both old enough now ….!! Hint hint…..

Sorry I didn’t phone for Jeff’s Birthday. Many happy belated returns Jeff!

Take care all and hope to see you soon

S, S & A

Anonymous said...

this made me laugh about Vancouverites and Winter....

And the news continues to get worse....for some.
Vancouver Weather in the News

Chilled Vancouver commuters faced their second day of winter
hell today, as an additional ¼ centimetre of the peculiar white stuff
fell, bringing the lower mainland to its knees and causing millions of
dollars worth of damage to the marijuana crops.

Scientists suspect that the substance is some form of frozen water particles
and experts from Saskatchewan are being flown in.

With temperatures dipping to the almost but not quite near zero mark,
Vancouverites were warned to double insulate
their lattes before venturing out.
Vancouver police recommended that people stay inside except for
emergencies, such as running out of espresso or biscotti to see them
through Vancouver's most terrible storm to date.
The local Canadian Tire reported that they had completely sold out of
fur-lined sandals.

Drivers were cautioned to put their convertible tops up, and
several have been shocked to learn that their SUV's actually have four
wheel drive, although most have no idea how to use it.

Weary commuters faced soggy sushi, and the threat of frozen breast
implants. Although Dr. John Blatherwick, of the Coastal Health Authority
reassured everyone that most breast implants were perfectly safe to 25
below, down-filled bras are flying off the shelves at Mountain Equipment
Co-op.

"The government has to do something," snarled an angry Trevor
Warburton. "I didn't pay $540,000 for my one bedroom condo so I could sit
around and be treated like someone from Toronto."