Sunday, April 6, 2008

A weekend of 2 halves

I have read my notes through recently and have thought that I have become slightly weather obsessed living here...but this weekend it has been all about the elements.

Friday was glorious...bright blue skies and a big yellow sun...At 8am I was outside sitting by the river having a cup of coffee thinking that life was so wonderful and that everyone should live like this. Jeff I and the boys spent the rest of the day outside and I even dangled my feet in the river - first time! I nearly slide down the rather muddy bank into the water and the smell of the garlic was high. The beef stew mum mentioned...The water was cold and refreshing, but I think I am going to be a bit squeamish about swimming in there amongst the fishes as is Jeff's plan for the summer.

Heath Robinson moment struck at 5pm!

Jeff and I had been talking about a barbeque all day and on returning from the shops I saw what he had in mind. Jack has a new job.

Jack was driven half way down the garden with a home made oven in his bucket. Jeffers lit the fires under 2 brick built cooking areas and away we went. Hamburgers and sausages from our very own tractor. We stayed out until 8 and then the chill finally got to us and in we went. What a happy day though.

Saturday. Jack showed me 'what for'!

I was not feeling too tip top - a bit out of it really. I was about to take the boys out to bet on the National and have a pizza whilst trying to answer Alfie's questionning about what happen to Shergar...when I drove the car straight into Jack and his bucket. Instead of remaining calm I then drove as fast as I could forward and took the whole rear bumper off. 1/2 a hour later and Jeffers' dab hand a forcing the bumper back, on broken back light and bumper held on with insultaing tape and me with a very small little voice shouting 'jeffers, jeffers'

At 3.45 into the betting shop I went. Jeff and I sneaked into a pub whilst other parents minded the children and did not win!

Woke up this morning to a white covered garden. I could not believe we had been lying in the sun 2 days ago. We wrapped our hands in socks and plastic bags and made for the powder! I began work on the snow man ably aided by Alfie and Chas. Having finished this little man, work began again in earnest this time on a snow boy and dog...

At 11am - the power cut out! No electricity.

We spent the day the 'old fashioned' way - reading, listening to the radio and for poor old Alfie generally getting very bored. If you are going to have a power cut though have one with a wood burner in the house. We were warm, ate a proper breakfast cooked on the top of the burner and had hot water for teas to our hearts content.

After 5 hours the power came back on...and with it the noise. Jeff and I have thought about having a 'parent made' power cut once a week...

Now we are having sunday lunch and I am about to ice 16 fairy cakes (but that's another story!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They had better be good. You know what you have got to do... x