Sunday, June 29, 2008

The day I nearly caught a deer by Henry the dog

well not quite, but by the look of Henry's face it was an experience that will live with him for a while. I was sat outside in the last few rays of sun, when out of the corner of my eye I saw the white flash of Henry hurtling up the garden. As I turned to look I realised that there was a young male deer running straight for me with the dog in hot pursuit. Quite beautifully, the deer took a right hand turn and galloped away from me. He leapt over the fence into next door's garden, but not before Henry had actually put on the accelerator and was catching him up. Henry sat stoically at the fence knowing when he was beaten. He then sat right in the middle of the garden looking first at where the deer had come from and yearningly towards where it had gone. If there was a thought bubble above his head I am sure it would say 'bloody hell, nearly caught that!'

This week we have had the fantastic news that both the boys have won class prizes. I am so glad that we moved them to this school and obviously it has paid off and they love it there. They both had book tokens to buy a precious book with (to be inscribed and presented to them at prize giving no less!!) We spent Saturday morning in a great bookshop choosing the right class of book...A has gone for 'Our Island History' a heavyweight tome following the history of Britain from Romans to Victoria - and Charlie...he has the Enclylopedia of Mr Men! As my Dad would have said ' well done, well done!'

Today Alf had a birthday party which was a circus workshop with a guy eating fire and lying on nails. He thought it was wonderful and definately heard the 'dont try this at home' message loud and clear. I took Chas to the new park - a brilliant Childrens dream of swings, slides, pirate ship and water...we met the world and their wife there - my cousin, 3 members of his class and even my friend's little girls out for a day with their gran and grandad. Home for the footie though and whilst both boys are up late cheering for Spain, I thought I would take advantage and write this. I will learn to like it!!!

Henry is now zonked out next to me, dreaming of the one that got away...

another day, another deer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you don't follow football - my interest is to read your weeks events not to know if Spain won the European Cup (sorry Spain)
Very well done to A. and C. winning school prizes (so glad they got one each)
We are looking forward to seeing the books in person shortly. Today is amazingly hot (29C or 88F if you prefer) Summer has come at last. LOL Mighty & G,

Anonymous said...

With this latest epistle, there seems to be a tale within a tale;
Verry interestinggg !
Could Henry be colour blind and think he a black dog ??
SIRIUS BLACK !!!
Was it really an ordinary deer ?
Or was it a PATRONIS !!!
Harry Potter's Dad, no less !!!

Probably not, because that would make you - dare I say it ??
RETA SKEETER !!!!!!

And your far too nice for that.
Signed,
The football part off Mighty & G